Training contracts and commencement
Training contracts and commencement (PDF, 78KB)
Information to get started
A training contract, completed and signed, is used to register the apprenticeship or traineeship.
The training contract sign-up and registration is facilitated by Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) providers.
By signing the training contract, the employer and apprentice or trainee indicate they understand and are bound by the conditions and associated obligations for the term of the apprenticeship or traineeship.
All the information on the training contract must be accurate and truthful. A training contract will not be registered if it is known to have false or misleading information. A registered training contract found to contain false or misleading information will be cancelled.
School-based apprenticeships and traineeships
If an employer is intending to employ a school-based apprentice or trainee, the employer should in the first instance contact the student's school to negotiate the impact of work and/or training on the student's school timetable. Once this has been agreed to, the employer may then contact an AASN provider to facilitate the signing of a training contract.
The apprenticeship or traineeship starts on the day agreed to by the employer and the person who is to become an apprentice or trainee. Once agreed, the following process must be followed:
- The training contract must be signed within 14 days after the start of the apprenticeship or traineeship.
- The employer is to contact an AASN provider to facilitate the signing of a training contract.
- The AASN provider should visit the workplace to perform an induction and advise the employer and apprentice or trainee of their obligations under the training contract.
- The employer must ensure that the signed training contract is given to the AASN provider within 28 days of the commencement of the apprenticeship or traineeship.
- The employer and apprentice or trainee need to choose a training organisation to deliver training in the apprenticeship or traineeship. The AASN provider will contact that training organisation to obtain acceptance of their involvement in the apprenticeship or traineeship.
- The training organisation will contact the employer and apprentice or trainee to arrange for an induction to take place and to negotiate a training plan that suits the needs of the workplace. This must happen within three months of the agreed date of commencement.
- On-the-job training should commence as soon as possible and not wait until the training organisation has developed a training plan.
Permanent transfer of a training contract
The process for commencement changes where a permanent transfer of an apprentice or trainee to another employer has been approved.
The ATIS-046 Transfer of a registered training contract - permanent or temporary information sheet provides further advice.
For further information
- an AASN provider on 13 38 73
- Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.
- Registering a training contract procedure
- Guide to school-based apprenticeships and traineeships (PDF, 283KB).