Access keys and skip links

Close print friendly
Home > Apprentices & trainees > Training advice > Training contract > Changing

Changing your training contract

During the term of your apprenticeship or traineeship, the details in the training contract may need to be amended. The Department of Education, Training and Employment must be advised of any changes. Your responsibilities, and those of your employer and your training organisation, vary depending on the type of change required.

If your issue is not listed below, please phone Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210 or email your query to

Extending your probationary period

The probationary period allows the apprentice or trainee and the employer the opportunity to assess their compatibility and the apprentice or trainee's suitability to the apprenticeship or traineeship.

You and your employer may apply to extend the probationary period of the apprenticeship or traineeship in certain circumstances.

More information can be found on the ATIS-023 Probationary periods information sheet.

Amending your training contract mode (including from school-based to full-time or part-time)

The mode (full-time, part-time or school-based) of your training contract can be amended at any time during the apprenticeship or traineeship as long as all parties agree.

School-based apprentices and trainees who do not complete their apprenticeship or traineeship prior to finishing school will need to have their training contracts 'converted' from school-based to either part time or full time as soon as they finish school. This an automatic process carried out by the department. Once converted, the student will be required to pay student contribution fees to their nominated training organisation. Students should contact their training organisation as soon as possible to determine the cost of fees.

Normal award wages and conditions apply once the contract is converted to a full-time or part-time arrangement.

More information:

Extending the nominal term (end date) of your training contract

All apprenticeship and traineeship training contracts have a nominal term, start date and nominal completion date.

If the nominal term of your apprenticeship or traineeship is due to end before all your training is complete, you and your employer can apply to the department for an extension of the nominal term of the training contract.

More information:

Transferring from one employer to another

A permanent or temporary transfer of your registered training contract from one employer to another may be considered for a variety of reasons including a change in either your or your employer's circumstances, a lack of ongoing employment or to improve training opportunities.

Temporary transfers must be agreed to by all parties and must not exceed a period of one year.

Permanent transfers may be applied for by all parties and the new employer, or alternatively, if the current employer does not agree, the apprentice or trainee and new employer can apply.

More information can be found on the ATIS-046 Transfer of a registered training contract - permanent or temporary information sheet.

What happens if my employer's business is sold?

If your employer's business is sold, and the new owner agrees to continue your apprenticeship or traineeship, your training contract is automatically transferred to the new owner. More information can be found on the ATIS-037 Transfer of a registered training contract - statutory (sale or dissolution of business) information sheet.

Changing your training organisation

You and your employer can agree to change training organisations during the apprenticeship or traineeship. Your employer must:

The training organisation being replacing must provide the apprentice or trainee with a statement of attainment to confirm the training that has been completed. This must be provided on or before the replacement date.

Your new training organisation will need to develop a new training plan with you and your employer.

Changing your qualification

You, your employer and your training organisation can amend the qualification of your apprenticeship or traineeship.

Change of qualification to another in a different industry/training package or another level in the same training package as the current qualification will require application to the department using the ATF-035 Amendment of a registered training contract form.

For a change of qualification resulting from the original qualification being superseded, the ATF-017 Minor amendment of a registered training contract form should be used.

Suspending the training contract

An employer and apprentice or trainee may agree to apply to the department to suspend the training contract for a period of up to 12 months.

Suspending the training contract allows the employer and apprentice or trainee to temporarily suspend the responsibilities associated with the training contract for reasons such as seasonal employment, long term illness or injury or maternity/paternity arrangements.

More information can be found on the ATIS-047 Suspension of a registered training contract information sheet.

[top of page]
This page was last updated at 28-October-2014
Home | Glossary | Site map | Contact us | Search